Pastel drawing by Dr. Jack Leitch
Architectural Features Preserved
Lancaster House is a Heritage Designated Property under the Ontario Heritage Act of 1973. Deemed an "excellent example of mid-19th century Georgian Revival", important features of the heritage designation include the front door. This door has been restored and is valued for a "bead down the centre giving the illusion of two doors".
Cut stone window heads and detailing have been repointed and the distinct six over six window panes facing the street have been replaced with modern replicas. The red bricks were locally fired. (source: Heritage Designation Statement, 1992)
Our completely renovated and fully furnished modern suites respect the heritage of the original home while providing the modern comforts of a hotel.
A Heritage Home
Lancaster House was built in 1846 for
John Lancaster, co-owner of the first
British Exchange Hotel on the corner of Lighthouse and Wellington Streets in Goderich. Lancaster later left Goderich and travelled to California and Australia in search of gold but was drowned on his way home. The Huron Rifles were reputed to have used the house as headquarters during the Fenian Raids in the mid-1860s. (source: Heritage Designation Statement, 1992)
Since that time, the house has been divided into several apartments with renovations and upgrades made at various times including the 1960s, the 1990s and most recently in 2016.
Mrs. Chaffey, in her garden at 165 Lighthouse Street, Goderich
To learn more about this building and others designated under the Ontario Heritage Act 1974 in Goderich, check out the town's website here.